Ful Medames is a historical recipe from Egypt. It is also their national dish. It means ‘stewed dried beans.’ The best thing about this recipe is that it can be served at any time during the day. It’s fun to make and fun to eat.
Many people like to enjoy this recipe for breakfast. They add fava beans, spices and egg in it. If you don’t have fava beans, you can use kidney beans instead. You can also purchase good quality canned fava beans. In Iraq, large brown beans are used instead of Egyptian ones. Vendors sell it as a dish called bad kill.
Ful Medames also features chopped onions and crushed tomatoes. It’s quite simple to make. You just have to stew the beans for a few minutes. The cooking time varies with the size, quality, and age of the beans. You can also cook them beforehand so they are ready when you want to make this recipe. Make sure that you are not adding salt while cooking the beans. This is because the recipe already has enough salt, so you wouldn’t want to make it saltier. Cook the beans until they are tender and soft. Then, mash them and mix in the other ingredients. Also, add a splash of lemon juice to give the recipe a nice citrusy undertone.
Some people like to add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper as their special ingredient. It will give the beans an underlying flavor that will make everyone wonder about what you put in this recipe.
When the recipe is ready, you can serve it in soup bowls. Garnish it with chopped parsley. Many people like to add boiled eggs to this recipe as well. If you like an extra crunch, add slices of onion, scallions, and cucumber.
Serve the recipe with Arab bread or crusty toast. To get a little fancy, you can enjoy this recipe with tahini cream sauce. If you like a sour flavor in your brunch, try this with pickles or a vinegar salad. In Lebanon, they serve it with yogurt or feta cheese. So, there are many variations that you can try with this recipe.
2 cups of fava beans
Extra virgin oil
½ onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin
Lemon juice to taste
Red chili flakes
1 garlic clove
Salt to taste
2 tsp tahini
Lemon juice to taste
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. When the oil is hot enough, sauté the onions and garlic in it.
- Meanwhile, cook the beans and mash them.
- Then, add the mashed beans, cumin, tomatoes, lemon juice, and water. If you want, you can also add the cayenne pepper. Let the tomatoes simmer for about ten minutes. Taste the sauce at this point. If you want, you can add more flavorings according to your taste.
- In the meantime, grill the flatbread with some butter on a stainless-steel pan. Also, hard boil the eggs if you want to add them.
- Serve the Ful Medames on a deep plate and cover it with thin slices of boiled egg. Garnish it with parsley and cilantro. You can also sprinkle some spices over it. Drizzle with olive oil.